Thursday, June 14, 2007

Space Camp

I have been to a couple of varieties of nerd summer camp. In high school, I did two stints at policy debate camp. When I was in elementary school, I went to this day camp that was space-exploration themed. The main thing that I learned there was that the only Monkee who could play his instrument was Mike Nesmith. Also, there was a girl with a Don't blame me, I voted for Bill and Opus t shirt. I said to her that I liked her shirt, and she said to me, "I didn't really vote. I'm too young." Ah, nerds!

The theme of the camp was space. The groups did different activities premised on the notion that we were going to build and live on a space station. A controversy broke out as to whether we'd have the right to bear arms in our new space home.

While that was the intellectual foundation of the cause, in practice the second amendmenteers mostly wanted to bring water guns to camp and run around and shoot each other. And yes, I was one who brought a water gun to camp. The counselors got really angry at us for getting water all over everything and eventually sat us down in an assembly for a stern talking to.

This was my last and greatest flirtation with right-wing politics.

1 comment:

Ann said...

At lefty camp (not as tech savvy as right wing camp, but equally nerdy) we would also have debtes about water gun fights. But more over the ecological ramifications of wasting water during one of Maryland's annual water shortages in the summer, rather than the second amendment implications involved.