Thursday, October 12, 2006

See how much anybody's house is worth

Straight out of Comm Law,* a crazy housing valuation website called Zillow. As you can see from the charming logo:



It's a web 2.0 beta bit of awesomenes. One enters an address, and the website produces an estimated price for the house.

The first screen that you get shows you a little satellite map of the area, with prices next to all of the houses in the vicinity of the house. If you click on the home details, you can get access to a history of the house's value, over the last one, five or ten years. You can also see the tax assessments on the house and a list of sales of comparable homes with their prices.

You don't have to log in or register, you just plug in an address and go. I first found out all about my parent's house, then checked out the houses in the neighborhood where I rent - a nice feature of the site is that if, as with my apartment building, it can't get a price estimate, it'll just show you a map of the neighborhood. It's awesome.

*Commercial Law, a class combining payment systems and secured transactions. It's one of the very very few law school classes where you learn the law. Before school, I thought that all classes were going to be like this class. Incidentally, I just had a class session all about repossession. I totally know Repo Man law now.

9 comments:

Amanda G. said...

that's pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

www.scripturist.com

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool.

Catch A Gideon

Sweet Cactus said...

hey, did you know you made it onto the list of "blogs that caught our eye" on the blogger homepage??? wooooowwww. I was looking at the list and said "hey...i know that guy...he's a friend of warm fuzzy!"
;)

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

SimeyC said...

It is a very interesting site...how come the house next door to me is worth more...no fair!

Find and share music legally. Get Napster a 7-day FREE trial of Napster now!

Annie said...

Zillow is a fun place to play, but it's often wildly inaccurate, especially in big city areas...

yvonnechang said...

Nice blogs! I'm new at this so I don't know how to do any of the fancy stuff yet. Check out mine, I'd really appreciate some feedback!

Word Imp said...

I live in New Zealand. I wonder if that website does houses here as well?