Monday, August 07, 2006

I didn't realize you wrote such bloody awful poetry

1-my casette tape adapter broke, meaning I can no longer use my mp3 player in the car.
2-one of the few tapes I have around has two Morrissey albums on it - Our Frank (boo) and Your Arsenal (yay-the best).
3-I realized that I had a lot of s/moz which I hadn't ripped and plopped onto my hard drive, so I set about doing so.
4-I did The Queen is Dead last night.

That's a really good record, by the way. Anyway, I've frequently skipped from the title track to Cemetry Gates, but listened to Frankly Mr. Shankly last night and was surprised at how much I liked it. There's a great weird country hoedown sound thing in the middle of the track which is enjoyable, but mostly the song's good for its lyrics, particularly this bit:
Fame, fame, fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
but then I'd rather be famous than righteous or holy
any day, any day, any day.

But sometimes I'd feel more fulfilled
making Christmas cards for the mentally ill.
I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of.
That's pretty funny. And while I Know it's Over has "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind" - I still don't like the song. It drags. And the slow "I'm so lonesome I could cry" song* Never Had No One Ever pales in comparison to Well, I Wonder and, of course, How Soon is Now.

You know, I'm wondering whether Meat is Murder is better than The Queen is Dead. The song The Queen is Dead is one of my all time favorites, but Meat is Murder has a lot of really good stuff, too....hrmmm...

*There're a fair number of these in the s/moz canon. Some of them are better than others.

No comments: