Friday, July 07, 2006

New Columbine Evidence Out

936 pages of additional Columbine evidence have been released, including dayplanners, diaries, and homework of the two killers. Here's a news story which links to a PDF copy of the release, which is 32 megs. I've browsed some of it (certainly not all), and have couple of things to note:
  • On page 125 Harris writes in a school essay, "My friend Dylan and I were driving around that night at about 9:00 PM with nothing to do. We decided to go to the a dirt parking lot off of deer creek canyon road to just kind of "hang out" to kill sometime." The spelling, grammar, and punctuation's as in the original. The phrase "to kill sometime" qualifies as a Freudian slip for "to kill some time."
  • The mascot of the high school is the "Rebel."
  • Harris really liked Doom, Nazis, and drawing pictures of guys strapped with lots of guns.
  • Harris also liked snarkily annotating his dayplanner's many motivational phrases. "Attitude. With the right attitude, limitations vanish, for a person's state of mind is always self-given." becomes "Bad Attitude. With the right (illegible) gun, a person's mind is always splattered."
  • Several references to "tier" and I have no idea what that means.
  • At first I thought the following images were rudimentary attempts at drawing sex acts/naked ladies.

    Then I realized I was looking at upside down pictures of guns.
  • I don't really know what the following image is is all about. The girl(?) kind of reminds me of Piglet from Winnie the Pooh.

Anyway, I remember reading this pretty good Slate article about the psychology of the killings way back in the day. I think that some of the videos, including security camera footage, has made its way onto YouTube, but I'm not exactly seeking that stuff out.

No comments: