Friday, July 07, 2006

"I am Adobe's bitch."

Nice little rant about how obnoxious Adobe Acrobat is. I agree.

What's nice about this dude's article is that it emphasizes that Acrobat takes up way more of the user's time and attention than any simple document viewer should. This is totally intentional on Adobe's part - they don't want Acrobat to become anonymous. But this goal is at odds with a good user experience.

On my old, dead laptop, I used to dread having to open PDFs because 1-layout was never essential to what I was reading. A txt file would've sufficed. 2-that bastard would always ALWAYS try to contact the internet, causing zonealarm to pop up.

1 comment:

Fishfrog said...

I had never thought about it before, but it is a helluva lot more work than you would expect to have to put into opening a text file, which has to be 99% of the content of pdfs. WTF!