Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Moving on to copyrights

So we had the Speech Press exam, and it went ok. There was not really enough time allotted for the questions, and I know that instead of thinking carefully and writing and revising, I spewed hard core. Also, it covered a very small section of what we covered, I feel.

Anyway, my next exam is Copyrights and Related Rights, which has become my favoritist subject and I really hope that I could get to work in this field some day. A recurring theme in this doctrine is: "And then the industry lobbied Congress heavily and got this idiotic provision passed..." This is a section of the law that's uniquely bought and sold by some big industrial concerns, in a way that other laws just aren't.

It's depressing, and it makes you wonder if granting limited monopolies to people in the form of so-called "Intellectual Property" rights is really the way to go. It looks like a lot of the money that these people make in exploiting those exclusive rights gets channeled right into the giant ass-raping of the public that is their lobbying efforts. For example the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which my professor called the Walt Disney Social Security Act.

And don't get me started on the so-called Satellite Viewer Home Act of 1999's provisions for works made for hire in relation to the termination of transfers.

Because then I'd have to start dropping some really dry knowledge, and that just wouldn't be pretty.

No comments: