Tuesday, January 03, 2006

They've been going in and out of style...

Twenty years ago tonight, at approximately three thirty in the morning on December 26, 1985, I heard odd noises and felt as if I had fallen out of bed. I opened my eyes to a scene of such extraordinary horror that I am still suffering from the effects of that moment, two decades later.

What I saw before me was a small room like the interior of a tent, populated by enormous insects. These insects were at once strange, distant-seeming creatures, totally unlike me and not communicating any sense of the human at all, and yet at the same time aware of me in a way that eloquently and terrifyingly signaled intelligence.

Immediately, I was seized from behind and there was a swooping rush around me. An odd, machine-like voice commenced repeating again and again the phrase 'what can we do to help you stop screaming?'
That's one poppin' intro to a fairly dull essay by Whitley Streiber. Yes, the Communion guy. When he's focused on the business of telling a scary story, he's really good. Does it matter if he believes it to be the truth (assuming he does)?

The wikipedia discussion page on Streiber gives us at least one answer to the question, phrased a bit differently:
Is he a nut or is he just aware that there is a sucker born every minute?

Both. But he's still cool (and by cool I mean totally sweet).
Fair enough.

No comments: