Monday, November 16, 2009

My Name is Mok



As part of my bday celebration yesterday, we watched a cheesy favorite movie of mine - Rock n Rule. It's a rock musical cartoon about a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by anthropomorphized dogs, cats, and rats. The heroes are musicians, Cheap Trick and Debbie Harry supply their songs. The nemesis is a Mick Jagger-inspired necromancer named Mok ("Mok, the legendary superrocker, has retired to Ohmtown"). Mok's speaking voice is supplied by Don Francks (who also voiced Boba Fett in the Star Wars Holiday Special cartoon). Mok's songs are supplied by none other than Lou Reed.

LOU!

Lou's My Name is Mok is my favorite song from the movie, and the video is what I remember from having watched this as a child on cable. It's not the best movie in the world, it is too kiddy for adults, and oddly adult for kids. The plot's a bit of a mess. But it's still charming, and I really enjoy Mok and his songs and Debbie Harry's main tune:



Plus, Iggy Pop has a cameo as the "Monster From another Dimension"! Nice work, Mr. Osterberg.

No comments: