Thursday, December 08, 2005

I'd like to give a shout out to Koji Kondo

Here's a wacky and therefore altogether linkable Japanese Zelda commercial. The ad references the Super Famicom, so I'm assuming we're dealing with a modern dance interpretation of Zelda: A Link to the Past.* There's a great lesbian subtext to the ad, because Zelda's played by a human of the chickadee persuasion, as is Link. Of course, by the time the two embrace, the subtext might just rise to the level of text.

If memory serves, Link to the Past introduced Zelda's Lullaby to the world of video game music. It's easily one of my favorite pieces, it makes me feel all mushy and sentimental.** I can only find a midi for it online, but it's worth giving a listen. Go to vgmusic, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link for Zelda's Theme (the first one). I should warn you to prepare yourself for uncontrollable sobbing induced by the clip's transcendent beauty.

If, however, you're one of those new-fangled pomo slackers who have but irony in place of a heart, you'd probably prefer Zelda, the music of my groin.

Anybody, heartless or not, can enjoy this trailer for Twilight Princess. And finally, some classic American Zelda advertising.

*Link to the Past competes with Ocarina of Time as best Zelda game, and therefore best overall game, of all time.
**Last night on the radio I listened to a discussion on the current aesthetic state of video games which asked the question - will video games ever rise to the level where they make the player cry. I have to admit that, for my own part, I've welled up at the end of Ocarina of Time and, more recently, at the end of Shadow of the Colossus. But though I got misty, I will not admit to crying. Because crying's gay. And anybody who says I'm gay is gonna get a nasty letter from my lawyers. In fact, before you write anything about me, I demand that you send it to me first so that I might approve it. This blog serves as notice that I am so gonna sue you.

No comments: